Sunday, September 27, 2009

First comments...

I couldn't get my posts to stay on the class blog, so I have decided to create my own! Forgive me if this doesn't work properly...

This is my comment on "Njal's Saga" Part 2.


It makes me laugh a bit that the characters who I liked in the first part of the book – the friends of the good guys Njal and Gunnar and Hrut and Hoskuld, turn into characters I really can’t stand! Thrain is the character I am particularly referring to. He decides not to be friends with Njal’s sons or the earl because he wants the friendship of a killer! It’s just strange how the characters aren’t necessarily good guys or bad guys in this story – they are just people. Stories I have read aren’t structured that way – there is always good and evil, and they don’t switch halfway through!


1 comment:

  1. Excellent points, Tiffany - As we discussed in class yesterday: all of these characters have their flaws - which, I think, makes our task as readers the more interesting as we evaluate their actions. Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete

Egil's Skull

Egil's Skull
Here is the photo of what we saw in class on Monday - Egil's skull. I can imagine that if Egil did indeed have the disease which causes this type of disfiguration, it would have hurt constantly. Perhaps this is why Egil felt justified in killing his classmate who was beating him at the ball game. Perhaps too it was a genetic condition, which is why he, Skallagrim and Kveldulf were described as such frightening and ugly people.

Thjodhild's Church

Thjodhild's Church

Reconstructed Viking Houses

Reconstructed Viking Houses
These are houses similar to the ones that Leif the Lucky would have made when he reached America - the homes he was willing to lend, not give, you know.